Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Thanks Margaret!

Do you ever reflect upon the events that brought you to where you are today; pondering those decisions, whether good or bad, that built character in you and paved a path for you?

I have been watching a lot of biographies lately, thanks to the Biography channel and Hulu.  It is fascinating to hear about people's stories.  Where they came from.  How they are wired.  What motivates them.  What they are known for or what sort of impression they have or had on others.

Sometimes I wonder if I should have accomplished more in my 30, almost 31, years.  Then I think, what does that even mean?  What is the "more" that I should have accomplished?

Thinking about what should've/would've/could've been creates wonderment around my purpose and what I want to be remembered for.  What sort of imprint do I want to leave on this world? For my family? Friends?

When I ask myself about my accomplishments, legacy, impact, purpose, etc., it seems a bit overwhelming and daunting.  It seems overwhelming because my mind naturally goes in the direction of needing to do something huge and awesome that will somehow influence a mass so that I am remembered for that great thing.  Let's be honest, I don't foresee myself ever walking on the moon, being the President of the United States, starring in a major blockbuster movie, or bringing world peace.

Recognizing that my imprint may not be as grandiose as the aforementioned, I am stirred by the practical ways in which my legacy is created.  Margaret Mead said it well, "A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has."

I love this thought for a couple of reasons: 1. It seems attainable.  Even on days where it feels difficult to be considerate and loving of others, we can still make it happen.  2. There are others in it together, gathered around a shared vision.  It doesn't all rest on one person's shoulders to bring change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment