My husband and I have a little routine on many nights of sharing a bowl of popcorn while catching up on our favorite TV shows online. We do not watch anything in real time it seems anymore. Our fave shows include: Chuck, Modern Family, GLEE, 30 Rock, The Office, One Tree Hill, White Collar, and the occasional Pawn Stars.
The other day, I decided that I wanted to make real popcorn instead of the microwave popcorn. I love it made with olive oil and sprinkled with some sea salt. The process is a little longer, but it tastes so much better. Side note: I recently read an article that said microwave popcorn is not a healthy choice because there are chemicals that leak from the inside of the bag and get absorbed in the popcorn.
So, last night I made real popcorn. You know, the kind on the stove top. I followed the directions on the bag - 1/4 cup oil (I use olive oil) and 1/3 cup popcorn. The first batch was a successful batch, though it didn't even fill the bowl. I decided to make a little more and thought I would guesstimate the quantities. A little oil, dump in the popcorn seeds and voila! They were popping away. Literally. The top starting to rise off of the pot from the massive uprising of popcorn. I tried to dump the popcorn in the bowl, but it was kind of all sticking together for some reason.
With the popcorn still rising and the kernels still popping, I grabbed another bowl. At this time, a layer of popcorn covered the counter and stove top. After a fierce battle, I got all of the popcorn out of the pot and into the bowls. Well, at least the stuff that would fit. I seemed to have been a tad bit off on my guesstimate. Even though it took about 20 times longer than the microwave popcorn, in the end it was worth it!
No comments:
Post a Comment