There is beauty that comes with age and significance in the days of yore. Not only did I experience this in Europe several years ago, with the rich culture and pieces of history that seemed to come alive as if I stepped into an old history text book; but I see beauty when I discover the unknown about people and stories. Most of all, I recognize the beauty and value of relationships that span over many years.
I have a handful of friendships that spread over a decade. A few of those friends I am still very close with, but two people have really been significant in the ups and downs and the good times and bad. We have seen one another through job changes, relationships, moves, faith journeys, and life in general. We know one another deeply and we want to see the absolute best for each other. We "get" one another.
Last night, we were able to spend some quality time together. We laughed, we listened, we just were . . . together. It was a bit of a belated birthday celebration for me, but also time to connect as one of us lives half way across the country.
Side note: it is not a surprise that I love food. I love trying new and different foods and I very much enjoy experiencing new places. Last night we ate at Aster Cafe in NE Minneapolis down by St. Anthony Main. I had been there once when it was simply a coffee joint. Now, some local owners converted it into a little restaurant. In addition to it being in a very quaint and storybook-like location, this little corner cafe has the most amazing food! We started with a cheese platter with brie, bacon, and roasted grapes. Next, we had an apple spinach salad with aged cheddar and candied walnuts tossed in a vinaigrette. We also got an artichoke, parmesan, and red pepper flatbread pizza. So good. We finished the meal with a chocolate raspberry torte and chocolate cranberry bread pudding. I will definitely be going back! Everything on the menu looks amazing.
Anyway, all this to say that I am extremely grateful for friends who have been a significant part of my story and who "get" me. I experience beauty in these relationships and see the face of Jesus.
No comments:
Post a Comment