It has been a bit since I posted something; in part, because I couldn't get access, and also because it has been a roller-coaster ride for my family this past week. Without going into too much detail, my daughter was hospitalized after being sick a few days. Turns out she had an infection in her blood.
Our second trip to the ER (yes, trip #2 after going to see two other doctors) did not end with us going home as the first one had. What was thought to be a one to two day stay ended up being a five day stay so that they could monitor Addi's sickness and infection. I remember thinking, "is this really happening?"
It was difficult seeing her hooked up to the machine administering her fluids and antibiotics. Every time the hospital room door opened, she became nervous and irritable. She sometimes would yell at the nurse or doctor to "get out!" She looked at me with tears in her eyes asking me what they were going to do. I kept telling her that they wanted to help her feel better, that I was there, and that it would be okay. Then, she started telling me that she didn't want to feel better, in hopes that they would leave her alone.
After a few days of just lying in bed, she began to go for walks in the hallway and play with some toys. This was great, but also had a couple of drawbacks as she would run away and try to hide from the nurses and doctors when they tried to get her vitals. She was a trooper though and through the tears she still let them listen to her breathing and get her temperature. Taking the blood pressure is another story.
One funny moment was when she was in bed resting after not being out of bed much and she asked me "Mom, you think I can dance?" She was watching a commercial where the characters were dancing. I said of course and started to help her out of bed, which was a bit of a process: put railing down, move blankets, put her slippers on, move her tubes, unplug her machine (so she could move into an open space), all while trying to be careful and gentle. "Mom, hurry up so I don't miss it" she told me. I, unfortunately, wasn't quick enough.
During our stay, we watched a lot of Nick Jr., she ate a lot of bacon, and when it was time to go home, she said she wanted to stay. That was due to the cool toys that she got to play with and no other reason I am sure.
We are home and trying to play catch up. Other than being tired, seeing Addi's bruises on her arms from IVs and blood draws, and feeling like it has been forever since we have had any family time, it almost seems like we were never at the hospital. The hospital chaos began one week ago and it feels like it could have been a month ago. So glad to be on the other side.
No comments:
Post a Comment