Saturday, February 19, 2011

White egg yolk?

Recently, I have been trying to balance out my diet, paying attention to consuming the nutrients my body needs.  Spinach salads are one of my favorites when it comes to salad.  Baby spinach topped with Applewood Smoked Bacon, an egg, onions and Smokehouse Vinaigrette.  Tasty, tasty.

Today I performed my normal routine when preparing to partake of this salad: take lid off of container, pour Smokehouse Vinaigrette over salad, place lid back on container and shake, shake, shake.  Remove lid and dive in.

As I was devouring this delectable dish, I noticed the egg looked unusual.  What, pray tell, was wrong with this egg?  Upon further examination, the yolk appeared to be white, not yellow.  Never have I seen anything like it and I have seen a lot of eggs in my day.  I have seen two yolks in one egg before, but never a non-yellow yolk.  Immediately, I typed “white egg yolk” into Google.  Could it have expired?  Been produced by a sickly bird? 

After reviewing some sources, it seems that a white egg yolk is rare, but not unheard of.  It also is quite edible.  Whew! 

I finished my salad and enjoyed every bit of it.  The white egg yolk, however, is sitting in the empty salad container next to me.  I just cannot do it.  Not today.  Maybe next time.


No comments:

Post a Comment