Sunday, July 10, 2011

Three going on 14

I never really used to think too much about single parenting and the challenge of getting through each day with little ones.  After experiencing only a handful of days as a single parent (when my husband was traveling), my respect for single parents increased a hundred times.  How do they do it?  Really.  I would like to know.

The past two days have been a challenge on another level - doing life with a three-year-old.  This three-year-old is extremely intelligent and sassy; three going on 14.  Need I say more?  I lost track of how many time she yelled "no" at me.

"Be quiet."
"NO!"
"Go sit on the stairs."
"NO!"
"You need to sit on your bottom."
"NO!"
"Stop spitting food out."
"NO!"

At one point, there was a stare down.  And, though I am confident with my competitiveness and drive I would've won, I walked away and closed the door behind me to collect my thoughts and take some deep breaths.

This afternoon, she had a roll of toilet paper in her room (I have no clue why) and it was everywhere.  It's like she was TPing her own bedroom.  She also had a glass of water in her room . . . all over the floor.  All of this chaos while she was supposed to be napping.

I am a cool, calm, and collected person, and it takes a lot to get me riled up in most cases.  Man alive, the last couple of days have been exhausting and it felt like I have failed as a parent somehow by letting these things frustrate me so much.  I know that is being a little dramatic and she is only three.  I want to handle these situations in a healthy and loving way because when 14 does come around, it will be a whole new ball game and I likewise want to process whatever issues with her in a healthy and loving way at that time.

So, God help me!  And help all of the parents out there with three year olds, and those people who will have three year olds to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment