That moment when someone shares something with you and you feel obligated to say what he/she wants to hear . . . but, you do not. There is a silence, and you are conflicted as you think of something, anything, to say.
I have had my share of those moments in life when a guy has been vulnerable and shared his feelings for me. In those moments, I would just step up to the plate and, in the kindest way possible, let him down easy. It usually began with, "thank you so much for sharing your feelings. I have a ton of respect for you for doing so." (And that was the truth, I was really grateful and it did make me respect them all the more). Yes, it did change the dynamic of our friendship at that point, but we usually got over it and moved on. Friendships with guys are uncomplicated like that.
A couple of years ago, I had a falling out with a girlfriend of mine.
Fast forward to present day. We occasionally run into each other and it is so uncomfortable. These run-ins usually include small talk, her getting emotional and almost crying, and she sharing things about how much she misses us.
So then, here is the really awkward part. I do not miss her. In fact, I am so glad that friendship is of the past and I feel so much freedom in my life with her out of it. Ugh, there. I said it. When I see her approaching me, I feel the stress rise in me and I wish in that moment I was invisible.
Is it okay to tell someone your life is better without them? Okay, perhaps that is too harsh and candid. It is the truth though.
No comments:
Post a Comment