Someone told me the question is not what if, but what will be. Of course this struck me because I tend to get caught in the tension of what something should or could be, and what it actually is. Asking myself what will be, brings a perspective of being active in the journey ahead instead of feeling as though I am reacting to it.
My parents and I are very different in many ways. Not only in how we are wired, but also our view of the world and of Jesus/faith. More recently, it has been difficult to find common ground in our belief systems. The tension rises in me as they appear to fit God into a box and are so confident about having faith all figured out. The Jesus I know is big and loving and gracious and way beyond my comprehension.
It is difficult for me to engage with those who think they have it all figured out, who feel compelled to push their thoughts and agenda on others, and who throw scripture at people in order to make a point. But, how do I reconcile this if it is a parent? My immediate reaction is to not engage, because it is exhausting and discouraging. And yet, I am caught between what I think I should do, and what is reality, and it can feel hopeless.
A friend reminded me that the same Jesus that loves me, also loves those who are difficult for me to be around. And so, I ask myself, what will be? (Seriously, what should I do?).
No comments:
Post a Comment